First trial of embryonic stem cells in humans
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11517680
This article is about the first trial of embryonic stem cell research in the US. AFter years of research, which cost $170m, a biotech company 'Geron' succeeded in getting the researh ready for human testing. The Food and Drug Administration in the US has therefor given a licence to Geron to use the controversial cells to treat people with spinal injuries. The company stated that it would still take years to know if the treatment was safe and effective.
Professor Chris Mason, an expert in regenerative medicine at University College London, said UK researchers hope to follow suit and begin trials next year with a stem cell treatment for age-related macular degeneration - a leading cause of blindness. Of course this is a very controversial subject. There are still a lot of discussions going on if stemm cells should even be allowed to be used.
I think this is great. Stem cell research should be used. If it can help people, than why not? As an atheist and a rational person:) I have no problem with abortion so why should i have a problem with this. This research can save so many lives. And btw, I think they can even get stem cells from the umbilical cord these days. I notice that reading this article led me to think about the discussion whether or not stem cell research should be allowed. Of course you know where I stand, but I'm curious about the way you guys feel about this subject. So let me know how you guys feel about this.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten